Monday, July 25, 2016

New Truck

I got a new truck a couple of months ago.  As a result I find that I am focused on getting the best possible mileage out of it while monitoring the mileage indicator display on the dash.

This has become almost an obsession.   

With my old truck, a 2002 GMC Sonoma, I did not have any way to monitor the mileage except for me manually keeping track which I did.  That truck routinely got 20.5 MPG week in and week out for my standard work week (sometimes under 20 and sometimes as much as 22).  

With my new truck, a 2016 Chevy Colorado, I am getting a pretty consistent 25 MPG under the same driving conditions and have even gotten as much as 26 and 27 MPG over intervals of as much as 50 miles. 

So I am getting anywhere from 22% to 31% better gas mileage with the new truck.  Of course it happens to be a 4 cylinder instead of the 6 cylinder Sonoma, but its horsepower rating is the same or better.  I never thought I would go for a 4 cylinder engine, but it was a combination of factors that contributed.  I wanted the Extended Cab rather than the Crew Cab.  Why?  Because I wanted the longer bed and wasn’t looking to really carry 2 two people in comfort in the back seat.  I just wanted some extra internal storage (I got used to that with the Somona which was also Extended Cab). 

Yes, I could have had a Crew Cab with the long bed, but then it would not fit in my garage.  So Extended Cab it was to be.  It turns out they really don’t market the Extended Cab with the 6 cylinder engine.  You can get it with a special order, but the ones on the lot are all 4 cylinder trucks.  Besides that, I wasn’t anticipating towing any great loads that would drive me toward a V6.  I do have a utility trailer, but it’s just for small stuff.
 
So far I am happy with my choice and even happier when it comes time to fill it up with gas.

No comments:

Post a Comment