Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Random Acts of Kindness

I have hesitated to write this, but what the heck.  No one reads this stuff, do they?  So, I figure here is my chance to say something without anyone knowing. For a while now I have engaged in random acts of kindness.  I am not sure when it started, but I remember some of the earlier ones. 

There is a diner I have gone to periodically over the years.  I call it, "taking myself out to breakfast." I always enjoyed going there, just sitting at the counter instead of at a table, and watching everyone while indulging in a breakfast that I probably really should not have been eating.  It often included pancakes or waffles with a lot of syrup, and sausages (yeah, not supposed to be eating like that).  Anyway, one day as I was eating an older couple came in.  Yes, even older than me.  The wife was doing alright, but the husband was having to use a walker.  I watched them as they came in and were shown to their table just around to corner from where I was sitting and almost out of my sight.  Not that I was trying to do so, but I could not get them out of my mind.  I kept wondering what their life might be like, and realizing that, when you are having to use a walker, a little unexpected "cheering up" might be welcomed.

Somewhere along the line I made a decision.  As I finished my meal I received my check, put a tip on the counter and headed for the cash register.  When I got there I paid for my meal then pointed out the older couple nearby to the clerk at the register.  "You see that couple just around the corner where the guy has the walker?"  The clerk acknowledged that she did.  "Here,"  I said, handing her another $40, "This is for their breakfast too."  She accepted the money, "No change," I said as I turned and walked out.  It made me feel better on the way home to think that the couple would be surprised and maybe just a little bewildered at the mystery of why someone had done such a thing.  

 Since then I have done that and similar things on a number of occasions. I have asked servers for the check of people at the diner. Most recently I was having trouble picking someone.  I had some ideas, but none felt quite right.  Finally just before I left I called the waitress over and asked her, "If you had $40 to give anyone in this restaurant, who would you pick?"  It was a little unexpected, but she knows I have done this, so she started looking around and seriously thinking about it.  Soon she identified a person.  She told me it was a middle school teacher sitting where I could not see her.  "Good, "  I said, handing her $60, "Here is $40 for her and $20 for you."  She was a little surprised by that second part and she thanked me.  Then I went up front, paid for my breakfast and was on my way.

My wife and I both do this sort of thing.  She has bought groceries for people, as have I, and we both try to keep on the lookout for people who just might appreciate a "random act of kindness."  We've also done things that didn't involve any money.  I remember a situation years ago where we had gone to a restaurant for dinner.  As we were waiting we saw an older single woman who was also waiting for a table.  When our name was called and we got our table, we asked the woman if she might like to join us.  I am sure this was unusual for her, but she accepted and we had a nice meal together and had a very pleasant conversation.

I realize these small things may not make a huge difference in someone's life, but I figure sometimes all people need is to know that they are seen, heard and someone cared enough to do something for them that was out of ordinary.  

 I highly recommend doing "random acts of kindness."     

No comments:

Post a Comment