Monday, March 23, 2020

Irrational and Immoral Behavior in Light of Covid-19

Yesterday I needed to make a quick trip across town both to deliver something and pick up something from my older son.  We stood apart from each other as we did what we needed to do.  No hugs.  No handshake.  He's trying to keep both his family and us safe and I was trying to do likewise.  On the return I saw something that both shocked me and didn't surprise me at the same time. 

On a Sunday afternoon on our way across town it would not be unusual to see a bunch of cars in a church parking lot, but right now this year it was shocking.  Why?  It was shocking because it was such a flagrant display of irrational immorality that I was stunned.  

I realize these people probably think God will protect them.  Well so did the people in a church in Italy that became a hotbed source of Covid-19.  These people in their flagrant disregard of reality were not just putting their own lives at risk, they were risking the lives of everyone they would have contact with in the next week or two.  They were risking the lives of every grocery store employee, every customer who is just trying to get food, every healthcare worker who may have to treat them and every innocent passerby on the street.

Why do I say their behavior was irrational and immoral?  It was irrational because we know what is going on and that there is a real danger associated with gathering in groups right now.  They are being irrational in denying the reality of that.  It was immoral because they are knowingly putting peoples lives at risk other than their own.  Last I checked immoral behavior was considered sin.  You would think someone who believes in that would see the hypocrisy of their actions.     

No comments:

Post a Comment