Saturday, September 19, 2009

By the content of their character

In Martin Luther King's "I have a dream speech" he said, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

President Obama whose father came from Kenya and whose mother came from the United States (both members of the "human" race) has been subject to a lot of judgement recently. That has been particularly true in regard to his statements about the various healthcare bills circulating through the U.S. Congress. Sadly, there are people who apparently still cannot get past the color of his skin. No, I'm not talking about the people who disagree with him. I'm talking about the people who do agree with him.

The only people who can't seem to deal with President Obama based upon his actions and decisions are those who are trying to forward his agenda. They are the ones who insist on hearing things that are not said, seeing actions that never happened, and making racial based statements about things that have nothing to do with race.

I have my doubts that Martin Luther King would be very proud of them today. Racism is a two way street.

No comments:

Post a Comment