Monday, September 14, 2009

Political Discussion at Gun Show

Last Saturday (9/12/09) my wife and I went to the Crossroads of the West Gun show at the fairgrounds in Phoenix. There were a lot of people there, and no I'm not some kind of maniac. My wife purchased a stunner she could carry with her while attending night classes. I bought a flint/steel/Magnesium fire starter. You can always have it with you and never worry about needing a lighter or matches or having matches that get wet.

Anyway, while working our way through the buildings there was a group having people sign a petition for Senator McCain to run for Senate again. I politely said no, but was asked, "Why?" Well, since he asked I said it was because I think McCain is a Liberal in conservative clothing. He said OK and I walked on. Then he asked my wife not realizing we were together and she called me back to where they were standing. He said, "Oh, he's not going to sign I already asked him." Then my wife asked why and I told her the same thing. At that point one of the other guys standing there decided to engage me in further discussions.

We probably talked another 10 or 15 minutes on a variety of subjects. I'm not sure how it came about but at one point we were talking about the Joe Wilson ("You Lie") situation. I told him I didn't like the way McCain wanted Wilson to apologize. His point was that during a Presidential speech to the Congress was not a proper place for such a thing, to which I responded that I though it was about time someone called Obama on all the lies he has been telling. The bottom line here is that I don't have much patience for people who lie regardless of their supposed position. As I said at the time, I respect the office of the President, but that doesn't mean I have any respect for a person occupying that office when he is telling lies.

In the end we agreed to disagree, but I told him that if the choice next time around was between McCain and someone more liberal I would vote for McCain even though I wasn't interested in signing the petition.

No comments:

Post a Comment